Friday, May 20, 2011

A Better day

I started sleeping at about 7 last night because it was dark and I didn't feel like doing anything else. I woke every couple of hours, checked the boat and then slept again, om and off till I got up at 4 because the wind had moderated considerably, as had the sea and so I unfurled the rest of the jib and then an hour or two later as it got light, I raised the main for the first time this trip, initially to the first reef but eventually I had it all up. The wind had dialed around from SW to S, then SE and then to East which is about where it is now. Sapphire accordingly had altered her course, as I expected towards the NNE. GRIB files say a High is moving this way and light winds forecast in the middle of it so heading a bit more to the north than the direct route might help me keep some wind - well it has today, in the 10 to 15 knot range, for a while dropping back to 8, but fortunately not for too long..The sun has been out for much of the day, so Ive smeared stuff over my face and lips protect them. And taken off the red wet weather gear - jacket and trousers and boots. The first two days were really cold so heading north to warmer latitudes appeals.

My appetite has increased a little and I enjoyed my scrambled eggs with tomato and fresh (ish) basil, along with coffee and bread and honey. Disastrously, I haven't been able to find any peanut butter - I distinctly remember looking at the various types for sale in the supermarket a few weeks back and thought I bought two containers of crunchy, but now I cant locate them. Maybe they rolled out of the bag into the recesses of the boot of the car and are still there…terribly disappointing.

The main news however was the appearance behind me at breakfast time of another yacht, bigger, faster.A cutter rig maybe 42 feet, always a good 2 or 3 miles away I would guess, she slowly overhauled me during the day and has now disappeared over the horizon in front. I left my VHF on hoping they might call but they didn't so as they began to pull ahead I called them up. The yacht is Atticus, theyre going to Tonga, getting some "easting" in before turning north, and Motor Sailing - which surprised me. Don't think I'll have to worry about hitting them in the night.

I'm 240nm from Marsden Cove and just under 1800 from Tubuai. And the Hydrovane hasn't fallen off, so cant complain. And tomorrow its my Birthday.

radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

No comments:

Post a Comment