Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Back at Sea

The wind settled at around 8 to 10 knots from ESE, so by 1500hrs I was ready to go. I had been back to the Hospital and said goodbye to Maeva and Tini, I went to see Jeanette and Don to say goodbye, I bought some of Meres food for my lunch to be eaten later, , and once back on board I dried and cleaned out the dinghy then rolled it up and put it away. The French guy came across to give me back a memory stick I had given him in the morning with some photos I had taken og his boat in the sunset. I had also bought them a fresh baguette. He told me a lot about various places that would be good to visit - he's already sailed extensively in these parts - and after he left I pulled up the anchor. 45 minutes later I was back in the ocean, the motor weas off and we were sailing for Tahiti. I have to admit I had a lump in my throat and a tear or two as I turned the boat out of the channel and Tubuai was behind me. I almost wondered if I was leaving too soon, but later I felt I might have stayed too long, as sailing seemed a bit foreign to me, strange as that may sound. I will have to readjust my rhythms again, to the roll of the boat, the lifting of swells, the rising and falling of the breeze, and to wearing a tether again. I really had a wonderfully special time in Tubuai and I'm so glad I went there. At present the breeze is light - around 10 knots - and there is a low swell and we are making 4.5 to 5 knots in a vey comfortable fashion and heading straight for Tahiti, almost exactly due North, 340nm away. I am thinking I might be there by Wednesday our time - Thursday in NZ and Australia - as the winds are not expected to be strong, maybe 10 to 15 tomorrow. All will be revealed in good time. Au revoir

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment