Later, midway through the afternoon while I was waiting for a kill, mother nature tried to help out by messing with the wind and the waves. Firstly, the wind dropped significantly, and I could see my anticipated arrival in daylight tomorrow becoming an annoying wait over the next night as I would not be entering any passage in any reef in the dark. My heart was set on getting there in daylight tomorrow, so good had the progress been - and so I took out the reef in the main to try and keep us moving - whereupon the wind picked up dramatically and eventually, after an hour or so of wild fluctuations in wind strength , it settled around 18 knots and Sapphire was making over 7 knots at times - and so I put the reef back in! Right now we are only 70nm from the nearest bit of Tahiti but where I am going is 83nm way. We are back on track for a daytime arrival I would say, especially if this wind continues as it is. But who knows?
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com